Policy Advocacy for Peoples Rights over Natural Resources
FECOFUN became partner of Rights and Resource Initiatives (RRI) since 2008. The Rights and Resources Initiative (RRI) is a global coalition of organizations working to encourage forest land tenure and policy reforms and the transformation of the forest economy so that business reflects local development agendas and supports local livelihoods. FECOFUN, after partnership with RRI is being involved in different activities since 2008 . FECOFUN is continuing its partnership with RRI and its campaign for ensuring community rights over natural resources in the new constitution together with other RRI partners and collaborators in Nepal. Some of the major collaborators of the program in Nepal are Forest Action, HIMAWANTI, COFSUN, and GACF. From these initiatives FECOFUN is more recognized in national, regional and international level and getting moral supports from international community, national political leaders, forest activists, civil society organization and forestry users at large for community forestry campaign.
Goal and Objectives
* To ensure the peoples rights over natural resources and common property rights through new constitution and influence forth coming forest policies and strategy.
* To sensitize and aware about the community rights, issues, climate change effects and its issues, community federalism, common property rights to the public in general and political leader, CA members and community forest users in particular thorough dialogues, interaction, discussion and awareness programs.
* To aware and mobilize both local and national electronic and print medias to expand the knowledge of community forest management, climate change and forest governance, community rights issues and empower the people through providing true information and knowledge.
* To bring harmonize and build strong relation among the NRM Confederations, Networks, Alliances and organizations working in natural resource management sector and among all the stakeholders for better influence in forest policy and strategy formulation or revisions.
* To empower women, indigenous people, marginalized groups and develop their leadership and capacity to claim and use their rights.
* To mitigate corruption and deforestation in Terai Community Forest and improve the good governance and promote the community forests across the country.
Community Forestry Users, Policy Makers, Political leaders, Forest Activists / Campaigners, Media Persons, indigenous people, women and marginalized groups
75 districts are covered for policy advocacy, campaign for community rights and community federalism, media mobilization.. Following 22 Districts of Terai Region are in priority for for promoting community forest management in improving good governance The targeted districts are llam, Jhapa, Morang, Sunsari, Siraha, Saptari, Udayapur, Dhanusha, Sarlahi, Rautahat, Bara, Parsa, Makwanpur, Chitawan, Nawalparasi, Kapilbastu, Bardiya, Dang, Kailali, and Kanchanpur,
Local to National Level Interactions and dialogues on different Issues like Peoples right over natural recourses, Community forest Issues, Climate Change Issue, Community Federalism, women Leadership, Constitution building process etc Interactions and dialogues with different political leaders on issues of community property rights and community federalism and different issues community forest. Advocacy Training for Handing Over Community Forests in Terai Interaction and dialogues on green economy and green jobs. Consultation Workshop of Climate Change to National Stakeholders Discussion and Updating Meetings with Federation, Networks and Civil Society Organizations
* Lobbying and coordination with multi parties and multi stakeholders/ Forest Caravan 2010
* Advocacy on Community Forest Handover process
* Empowerment to Community Forest User Groups (Women, Dalit, Madhesi, Poor)
* Informed parliament members on community forest via dialogues and interactions.
* Participatory Good Government Assessment at CFUG level
* Public Hearing and Public Auditing at CFUG level
* Advocacy planning workshop in national level, districts and region.
* Advocacy training in different districts, region and centre.
* Issue based campaigns dialogues and mass mobilization
2008 to 2012
Forest Action, HIMAWANTI, COFSUN, and GACF
The Rights and Resources Initiative (RRI)